Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sausage and Cabbage Soup

This may sound like a German soup, but you gotta remember that what I cook is usually Tex-Asian.  Yeah we're gonna use Kielbasa, a Polish sausage.  Then the cooked Cabbage is reminiscent of Sauerkraut, uniquely German, but that is the end of the similarity.  I'm going to start with a Stir Fry.  I'll add some Olive Oil to a hot stir fry pan then throw in some diced Onions, and quartered Mushrooms.  Let the Onions and Mushrooms cook for a while before adding shredded Cabbage, and the sliced Kielbasa.
At this point it is a stir fry, and could be served like this, but I want soup.  Next I'll add a couple cups of water, Sea Salt, Red Chile flakes, Black Pepper, and bring it up to a boil.
In the mean time we're going to make a slurry which will transform the water into soup.  The slurry is made with Caldo de Pollo, Corn Starch, and a half a cup of water.  I assemble the slurry in a one cup jar with a tight fitting lid.  Then shake the slurry with all your might, you want it mixed very well, other wise their might be Corn Starch lumps in the soup.  I know you don't want that.
Then we'll need to return the soup to a boil to cause the Corn Starch to "bloom", or thicken.  At the last minute we're going to add some Rice Wine Vinegar, and Sesame Oil to heighten the Asian flair.
So I have taken what might be assumed to be a German Soup and made Hot and Sour Soup with Sausage and Cabbage instead of Tofu, and Bamboo Shoots.  That Hot and Sour soup base is probably my favorite, and you can morph it into anything, like Brussels Sprouts.  Once you have the fundamentals recipes are irrelevant.  You have creative license, make soup...

No comments:

Post a Comment