Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Years Nom Noms

Happy New Year!
Black Eyed Peas are obligatory for the New Years Celebration.  I am totally sick of over complicated holiday food.  Need something simple, like comfort food for the New Year.  Simple Porx and Beans, well, er uh, Peas will do it.  We'll start with a pound of Black Eyed Peas.
The Black Eyed Peas need to soak for several hours before we can cook them.  I'll sort and wash them and then put them in a stock pot, and cover them with vitalized water.  Next Item on the New Years is Garlic Beef.  I'll take a Top Round Steak and marinate it in Garlic, Olive Oil and Sea Salt.
Then we'll take the steak and put it in the fridge for several hours to get that Garlic flavor into teh Beefz.
I had prepped the Black eyed Peas, and Garlic Beefz midday for preparation on New Years Eve.  I started cooking the Black Eyed Peas around 5 PM.  Put the pot on a low simmer, and let them slowly rise up to a simmer.  It takes around 3 hours to cook them this way.
After an hour of cooking the Black Eyed Peas are simmering well.  Then I added two teaspoons of Sea Salt, two teaspoons of Chicken Base, a couple of strips of cooked bacon, and another three strips of raw Bacon.
The cooked Bacon has little fat in it, and I wanted to get a little Porx fat in there, and that is why I added some raw Bacon.  The Black eyed Peas will simmer another two hours, so no worries about adding raw Bacon.
Here, a couple hours later, then Black Eyed Peas are looking nomlishious.  Now we'll prepare the Garlic Beefz.  If I were to grill teh Garlic Beefz the garlic would get burned up.  I want to preserve the Garlic, so I am going to roast the Garlic Beefz in the oven at a low temperature.  Low and slow is unusual for steak.
I wanted to have the garlic roasted correctly, and get the steak cooked.  Low and slow will do that.  I set the oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.  After 30 minutes the steak was still a little rare, and it wound up taking about 40 minutes.
Roasted Garlic looses the sharpness that it has when its raw.  It also gains a sweetness.  After I pulled the garlic Beefz out of the oven I let it rest for a while.
When I cut into the Garlic Beefz it has a medium doneness.  I collected all the garlic from the Beefz to make garlic sauce.
The sauce is the Au Ju from the roasting pan, the Garlic, a little butter, and some more Olive Oil.  The Garlic is already cooked, so we only have to heat this, not cook it.
I made some Fries also.  The Garlic part of this is an entire head of Garlic, for one steak.  That's why its called Garlic Beefz.  Then I have a cup of the Black Eyed Peas on the Side.  This is a welcome diversion from the Holiday food.

No comments:

Post a Comment