Sunday, October 30, 2011

UABMM2 Test

OK, here I have all the magnets installed.  This thing is dangerous at this point.  There are literally hundreds of pounds of magnetic force on both the rotor and the stator.  They both hate each other and love each other in that in one position they want to go flying apart, and an inch away they want to slam together.  The rotor weighs less than a pound, but when it is stuck to a metal surface like the refrigerator it takes a major effort to get it loose...
So, when I get the rotor in place the magnets will push one side of the rotor down, and the other up.  The shaft arbor and the little quarter inch shaft are mere pawns to these forces and just bend.  Having a one sided mount was an epically bad idea.  When I physically force the rotor to sit level there are no rotational forces that I can detect.  Its just a more complex situation of the magnets finding a static balance point and sticking there, HARD.  I'm beyond melancholy now.  I still want to believe that this can work, but after so much work and expense, and no results I have to say this is a failed concept.
While I don't just want to give up on this concept, I am going to need to redesign the way the rotor is mounted on the shaft, the bearing placements, and the methodology of bringing the stator into proximity with the rotor.  I have an idea in my head.  First we need a much sturdier shaft, 1/2 inch, and the rotor need to be very solidly fixed on that shaft.  Then the stator would move on the outer support rods, 1/2 screws, and would be a spring loaded, nut actuated engagement system.  Then also the bearings would need to be extra heavy duty, and mounted n the ends of the shafts so the magnetic forces can't bend the shaft around at will.  Total redesign of the mounting system, the rotor and stator would remain the same.

The first picture here is the rotor in position, and the magnetic forces bending the shaft to the physical balance point.  Looks pretty sorry.  Then the second picture is the loose rotor levitating over the stator.  The axle is preventing movement in the X and Y axises, and the magnetic forces are causing the rotor to levitate in the Z axis.

I had also thought about taking the magnets and building something else, perhaps some new alternator, or a levitating toy.  Right now I think I'll just go and get a bowl of Pho, and a nap...

No comments:

Post a Comment