Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Becoming

"To survive is not enough. To simply exist... is not enough!"  --Roga Danar

Roga Danar is a fictional character from Star Trek TNG.  He was an Angosian prisoner and former two time subahdar in the Angosian military.  The quote however is paraphrased from Albert Schweitzer...

"It is not enough merely to exist. It's not enough to say, 'I'm earning enough to support my family. I do my work well. I'm a good father, husband, churchgoer.' That's all very well. But you must do something more. Seek always to do some good, somewhere"  --Albert Schweitzer

"Human nature is intricately defined by its owner. If we wish to merely exist, then exist we do. But if we take his question to a higher state of mind, we find life's perfect answer: Mankind's nature is to evolve. Not only to simply exist but to assure non-extinction of our species."  --William Shakespeare

OK, now we have a few centuries of edification. From the 16th century to the 24th century, as it seems it is not enough to merely live life for the sake of living.  One's life needs purpose, a goal which is loftier than one's perceived potential.  We need limits to push out, boundaries to break, and frontiers to breach.  Every branch of human endeavor has countless stalwarts of progressive thinkers, and builders.  It is literally our evolutionary process to innovate, and invent...

Just Being is not enough.  To be, what is that?  To simply exist?  Everyone has hopes, aspirations, dreams.  But here we need to look deeper.  Why do we have this ingrained need to create?  What drives us to breach frontiers, and break barriers?  Could it have something to do with our Source?  We are created in the image of our Creator.  It means we are like our Creator, we're Mini-Creators.  And also the Creator instilled the need within us to create.  Instead of being, we are becoming.  Becoming what?  We are becoming like our Creator.  We are Hu-Mans Becoming like our Creator.

I found a little truism which can be used like an affirmation, or a reminder to give us a little nudge when we need it.  "I Am a Hu-Man Becoming.  Help me to Become."  A book I am reading now reminded me of these ideas.  Hu-Man literally means God-Man.  "I Am a Hu-Man Becoming.  Help me to Become."  The idea that we are made in the Creators image, and also carry the innate ability to create, leads to the logical conclusion that our potential is much greater than we may have thought.  This little affirmation lets us express our desire to live up to our potential...

"I Am a Hu-Man Becoming.  Help me to Become."

"We are Hu-Mans Becoming.  Help us to Become."

"They are Hu-Mans Becoming.  Help them to Become."

No comments:

Post a Comment