Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Garden Fence 2

Well, this has been an arduous process.  Iz re-defined tired.In the meanwhile here I planted 25 square yards of sod with the new tiller.  Oh, yeah, there is the job thing too.  But persistent effort is bringing the garden fence, and garden into shape.  Here is a shot after I leveled the garden boxes.
I have also stripped the green OSB sides of the greenhouse.  We are converting to Cedar now.  The painted OSB (Oriented Strand Board) is a lot like particle wood, a bunch of wood pieces glued together.  Over time, in the weather, became confetti waiting to happen, huge mistake.  We are replacing it with Cedar now.
Here I have some Tomatoes and Chiles planted.  Also digging the first post hole.  In the meanwhile I hauled 2 truk loads of Cedar, and 540 pounds of concrete home.
Here I have cut the posts to 6 feet, two underground, and 4 on the top side.  We're making a Ranch Style Fence, so we're gonna use rough Cedar, which is cut but not sanded.  It fits well with the ginormous animals and garden genre.
There is a couple Mason lines that we use to line everything up.  The 1x2 stakes help keep the posts aligned until we get the concrete in the holes.  I'm using concrete forms to keep the support concrete slugs uniform.  When you have a post die, it really helps to have a uniform support slug.  You can pull the bad post more easily, and you have a uniform hole to put in a new post.
Then we'll back fill the soil around the concrete forms.  Turns out Samurai and I wound up pouring concrete in the pouring rain.  I couldn't believe the timing there.  Harley would only go as far as the patio cover, and not out into the yard.  That was krazy
After the concrete went in we could take off the braces, and start populating the runners, and clean up the area.  Covering all the mud was a ginormous priority.  After weeks of Spring rains and mud we are totally burned out on the mudz.  Got lotz of mulch and compost to cover it all.
Now I'm starting to move some plants back to the garden and plant them.  Harley loves to eat the plastic pots, and I have been eliminating them.  We're down to three as of now.  Everything is going into the ground for water conservation.  Pots have to be watered everyday in the summer here.  Putting everything in the ground, and mulching them takes less water, and makes better plants.
The new Tiller helps this process tremendously.  It's compact and gets into small spaces extremely well.  What it doesn't do well is this Texas Clay Soil.  I still have to break the clay before I can till compost into it.  But with every pass its getting a little easier.  The soil in the garden is far superior than what is in the yard.
Here, last Saturday we made the big push to finish the gates.  I had Nineclaw helping, and I needed it because we hit it hard, knocked out the gates, hardware, and got the garden sealed off from the ginormous animals.  What I have built here is a livestock fence, for a ginormous galoofa woofus...
He hasn't breached it yet.  I say yet because there is not the temptation of my homegrown Tomatoes yet.  When they are ripe he'll find a way, I'm sure.  In the meanwhile I'm going to install some other deterrents.
Next I'll be moving all the compost heaps to the back of this garden, under the Oak Tree.  The compost has been invaluable in the garden this year.  Not just to nourish the soil, but I also use it as mulch,  That reduces the mud migration from the garden to the carpet, and that has made life a little easier here.  I only spent two months bustin' ass in the garden to do it...

No comments:

Post a Comment