Sunday, November 11, 2018

Ultimate Chicken Soup

I do Chicken Soup a little different.  I've tried the traditional recipe with the boiled chicken, and I like it, but my culinary instincts drive me in a different direction.I want lots of noodles, and vegetables, with less broth.  I also want the crispy Chicken Skins.  So I roast the Chicken first, then make soup.
This time I started by roasting some Chicken thighs in a pan for around 50 minutes at 400 degrees.  I use my usual seasonings which are Tony Chachere's season salt, and black pepper.
The Chicken thighs can go rest in the corner while I work on the rest of the soup.  Roasting renders the fan out of the Chicken so it doesn't wind up in the soup.  But what this also does for you is the Fond.  We'll make the broth in the roasting pan to take advantage of the Fond, the most bestest part.
I've removed the fat from the roasting pan, and I I'm going to use canned Chicken broth to liberate the Fond from the roasting pan.  The Fond is fairly well stuck to the roasting pan, and we'll use a deglazing process to get it loose.  I put the pan on two burners on the stove to heat the whole roasting pan.
As the Chicken broth comes up to a boil I'll use a whisk to break up, and distribute the Fond into the Chicken broth.  Taste the broth, and season it as you see fit, keeping in mind that you'll have some concentration of the flavor as it cooks.  As the broth is simmering I'll start the vegetables.
This time I am using Mushrooms, Onion, Garlic, Cabbage, and Thai Chile.  I use Butter to saute the vegetables.  Don't forget a little Salt to soften the vegetables.
I have prepared some Egg Noodles which are waiting in a warm pot for the final assembly process.
Then I add the broth to the vegetables, and noodles, and the last thing to go in is the chopped roasted Chicken.  Typically I would give my Chicken soup a little Asian flair like Toasted Sesame Seed Oil, or Fish Sauce, but this time I left it regular Chicken Soup.
Notice that the crispy skins are in there also, possibly my favorite part.  The very last thing is a handful of chopped Cilantro.  Perfect for a cold Autumn Day...

No comments:

Post a Comment