Sunday, November 11, 2018

Chile Harvest 2018

Freezing weather is in the forecast, time to harvest the Chiles.  I have massive Chile plants this year.  I grew a lot of Capsicum Chinense plants, and they get huge.  They are also prolific, and make lots of Chile Pods.
It actually caused a problem in the garden because the plants got so large that they were casting a shadow on other plants which couldn't grow correctly because they weren't getting enough light.  Two in particular were the problem the Poblanos, and the Bhut Jolokias.  The Poblano is a really big plant, and they overshadowed the Cherry Pepper plants.  I did get some Cherry Peppers, but the plants were light starved, and didn't grow like they should have.
The plants that are abnormally prolific are the really hot Chiles like the Bhut Jolokias, and the Carolina Reapers.I only planted two Bhut Jolokias, and I have a whole pan full of Chiles.
I planted a lot more Carolina Reaper plants, but some of them were light starved at the back of the garden, and didn't produce much.  The four plants at the south end of the garden produced plenty.
I also planted some Orange Habaneros, and Red Savina Habaneros (Caribbean Red Hots).  One of these plants produced Chiles that look different, and after spending a little time trying to identify them I think they are Trinidad Morunga Scorpion Chiles, on the right.

Then the Poblanos are also prolific.  They were also the largest Chile plants in the garden this year.  They have relatively large fruits so they were all bent over at harvest time.  They grew three feet past the top of the the support cages.  They are easily the Largest Chile Plants I have grown.
I also grew Thai Dragon Chiles this year.  They were one of the last things I planted, and got planted at the back of the garden, so they were light starved, and generated a lot of Chiles anyway.  Along the trellis I planted Cherry Tomatoes, and they also did not do very well.  I did get a lot of little Tomatoes, but they never ripened, and were diminutive compared to what they were supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment