Sunday, March 11, 2018

Sproing

Its Springtime again, lets make lots of new plants.  I get lots of suggestions because people know I have a garden, and they want me to start some plants for them.  The biggest requests this year are Thai Eggplant, and Thai Dragon Chile.  Then also I have some interesting things people give me, like a French Cherry Tomato.  There are also things that I have grown previously that I wanna make more, like the Carolina Reapers.  And then staple foods like Carrots, Onions, and Potatoes.
I've got an amazing variety of garden plants picked out for this year.  Some are salvage from purchased products like Pineapples, and Potatoes.  If you get a Potato that sprouts (eyes), stick it in the ground.  The plume of leaves on the top of a Pineapple is the next generation of the plant, stick it in the ground.  Onions, and Garlic that sprout, stick them in the ground.  Vegetables that have seeming gone bad are sometimes just trying to reproduce, and grow again.  Then there are seeds.
Of course you can harvest the seeds from anything that you purchase, and plant them.  Or buy seeds that are packaged for sale.  You can even plant seeds of the stuff you find on the ground walking around your planet.  I've had varying success planting seeds from produce that I buy at the store.  For instance I got some Hatch Chiles last year, and tried to plant those seeds, but they didn't germinate.  I was very disappointed.  I have much better luck with purchased seed packages.
Stuff that sprouts sitting on you counter is very easy to grow.  This is a Potato that sprouted sitting on the counter.  I dug a hole, threw the potato in, then covered it up.  We've had a decent amount of rain lately, and I didn't even water it much.  One planted Potato can generate up to about 20 Potatoes.  If you let them sit, over the winter, in the ground, and grow another year, that number will exponentiate, 400 potatoes, LOL!
Onions, and Carrots are also very easy to grow.  I plant Carrots from seed, and they require almost no maintenance.  Pulling the weeds out of the area is the main task.  Onions from seeds are mainly the same except that Onions a perennial while carrots are evergreen.  Carrots will grow year round here in North Texas, but Onions will go dormant during the summer.  Onions will dry up in the heat, and should be harvested, and protected indoors, then planted again when the climate cools off.  Garlic is the same.  So, I'm getting a good early start, lets hope it doesn't snow in April...

1 comment:

  1. Man! 400 potatoes from one potato. That's amazing. Didn't know you planted so much. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete