Friday, February 14, 2014

Winter Garden 2

Its been about a month since I planted seeds in the Winter Garden.  There are little sprouts in those areas.  Most of them are Crucifers, so all their sprouts look alike.  We finally had a couple warm days here where I can get out there, pull weeds, and plant some more early Spring vegetables.
This time I added some white and red Onions, green and purple Kohlrabi, Lacinato Kale, more green Cabbage, and Brussels Sprouts.  I've been using my compost from last year to cover mud spots, as I pull weeds, then the compost gets tilled in to improve the soil, and covered again.  Places where there are sprouts are just bare soil right now.  As the plants get bigger I will mulch around them.
This is the South side of the greenhouse.  This area is next to get cleaned up.  Here I have Rosemary, Oregano, and Thyme, which are all Evergreens.  In the middle of the long box is Tarragon, which is perennial, and it will start to grow in about a month when there is more light and warmth.
This is the view from the North side of the greenhouse.  In the middle are Sage, Rosemary, and Lavender, also Evergreens.  There are some Turnips that lasted through the Winter, but they don't look very good.  The greatest amount of green here are weeds, especially Clover.  I had sprinkled Carrot seeds all over the place and there are a lot of Carrots. These Winter Vegetables will mature and get picked around the time I plant Tomatoes, and Chiles in mid to late March.  As soon as the threat of frost is passed it is time to plant the Summer Annuals.  That is when I will do a deep Till, add plenty of compost to the soil, and supplement with Yum Yum Mix, an organic fertilizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment