Wednesday, July 25, 2012

UABMM2 Unfurled 3

OK, here is the Poly rotor, we're cutting the slots now.  This time using the table clamps to keep the slots straight, and use the Y Axis of the table to move the piece.  It took a few hours to cut 36 slots.
The Polyethylene is a lot softer than Aluminum, and easier to cut.  But, the trade off is the rigidity of the piece.  Where I could probably press fit the magnets in Aluminum, the Poly is too flexible, and I'll need another way to secure the magnets.
I'm thinking that I'll wrap the perimeter with electrical tape to start with.  If that doesn't work then I'll try the quick epoxy.  I really don't want to use the industrial epoxy because this is a test piece, and I want to be able to get the magnets off of it again.
I still have to make the holes to mount the rotor to the split taper bushing.  Then we'll be ready to add the magnets.

No comments:

Post a Comment