Monday, November 28, 2011

Anasazi Bean Chili

Funny looking cousin to the ubiquitous Pinto Bean is the Anasazi Bean.  It has red and white splotches all over it.  After they are cooked they are a dingy pink color.  The name Anasazi refers to the Indian Tribe that cultivated these beans in the Four Corners region of the United States.  Those of you who watch the Ancient Aliens series may also be familiar with the Anasazi because of their cave drawings of Ancient Astronauts.  Two things that make these people interesting to me, Beans and Ancient Astronauts...

Anasazi Indian cave dwellings
Anasazi Indian Ancient Alien Petroglyphs
There is some information about the Anasazi Indians here...
OK, back to the Chili.  I soak the dry Anasazi beans for about 6 to 8 hours in 4 cups of Vitalized Water.  This allows the beans to start to sprout right before cooking them.  Soaking the beans first is supposed to help alleviate the bean music afterwards.  Beans like to be cooked low and slow, so we are starting the heat at about 30 percent, and just let the beans take their time, don't rush them.  Once they come up to a boil I add 2 teaspoons of Sea Salt, reduce the heat to about 15 percent, and let them simmer for an hour.  Meanwhile dice some White Onion, Garlic, and Chiles.  Quantities are up to you.  I like less Onion, and more garlic and Chile.  I harvested Chiles yesterday, so I have a plentiful variety of Chiles for my Chili.  I wound up using 2 large, fresh Cayenne Chiles, and 1 large, red Anaheim Chile, so its not super spicy.  Then I added a couple of tablespoons of Caldo de Pollo to add to the flavor.  Mix the Chili together thoroughly, and let it simmer for another hour.
I have some leftover Ham from Thanksgiving that I added in the serving bowl, and a few Scallions on top.  Anasazi Bean chili is Mui Delicioso, uh that means Nomlishious for you Gringos...

No comments:

Post a Comment