Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Victory Garden Chicken Chop Suey

My little vegetable garden is what Eleanor Roosevelt would call a "Victory Garden".  Back in the 1940's and 50's they were very popular and hardly anyone grows their own food anymore.  Well, I enjoy it even if its not very popular.  Of course my favorite part is eating what comes out of the garden.  Uh, that's Dusty's favorite part too.  Here are some Turnips we harvested July 4, 2011.
Here is a Kohlrabi, its in the Cabbage Family, and is a Cruciferous Vegetable.
I stir fried Onions, Celery, Cabbage, Kohlrabi, and Turnips to make a vegetable base for my Chop Suey.  I sliced the vegetables into thin strips, like matchsticks, to expedite the cooking process.  Then I used a slurry of cornstarch, Chicken bullion, and water to make the Chicken flavor sauce.  Then I season the sauce with Soy Sauce, and Sesame Oil.
The very last addition is some of my Hickory Smoked Chicken, which is only in the pan long enough to get warm.  When you are using ingredients that are precooked add them at the very end of the process to avoid overcooking them.  Chop Suey is traditionally prepared with Rice, but I want a more diverse nutrient base, so I am serving mine with some 15 Grain Garlic Toast.
Of course I always have to have a little heat at least so, you can see the bottle of Cayenne Chile Sauce there.  Some sort of Chile goes into everything I eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment