Sunday, July 17, 2011

Fish Tacos

Seriously craving Fish Tacos today...

Usually the fish is battered and deep fried.    I didn't feel like getting the deep fryer out, and I made skillet fried fish instead.  The breading is mostly cornmeal, with a little bread flour, Tony Chachere's More Spice, and fresh cracked Black Pepper.  The More Spice is a hotter version of Tony Chachere's.  Then mixed the dry stuff together.
Next we prepare the fish.  These are frozen Tilapia filets, and one Cod filet.
Made planks from the filets, and seasoned with more Tony Chachere's and Black Pepper.
Then dredge the fish in the breading and let it hang out in the breading until we are ready to fry.
 In the meantime I made the Chipotle sauce.  Usually it is Chipotle Ailoi, which is Chipotle flavored Mayonnaise, which is like 90% fat.  Instead, I am going to use my Yogurt Ranch dressing, which is the house dressing.  It is 2 cups of sour cream, 1 cup of yogurt, and a Ranch Dip packet.  Then to make it Chipotle I add one finely chopped Chipotle, and about a teaspoon of the Adobo to a half cup of Yogurt.  I'm using San Marcos brand Chipotles in Adobo Sauce.
So, the sauce is ready, the fish is breaded, now gotta get the tortillas ready.  I use a Cast Iron Griddle as a Comal.  Each tortilla gets to ride on the Comal for a minute or so, equal time on each side.  I warm the tortillas as I am frying the fish.  The fish will fry in a large skillet over medium heat, with a few tablespoons of vegetable oil.  They only take a couple minutes per side when they are small filets like these.  Also need to shred some lettuce in there at the last second.  As food starts coming of the cooktop I assemble the Fish Tacos right on the plate.  I gotta have some Cayenne Chile sauce, always.  Then also have a cup of Bolita Beans from yesterday....
So this is may Cajun/Texan variation of Fish Tacos.
The went together faster than I thought they would.
They are definitely something I'll make again...

No comments:

Post a Comment