Thursday, November 23, 2017

Turkey, Gravy, and Stuffing...

I've changed my Turkey process over the past few years.  I've got a need for Gravy, so cooking the Turkey in the smoker all the way won't work.  I'm still brining the Turkey, but to make Gravy I need the drippings from Oven Roasting.  So what I do is to Roast the Turkey to about 80% done.  Then let it sit at room temperature for a couple hours.  Right before the rest of the meal is ready I'll put it in the smoker for two reasons.  First to finish cooking the Turkey, and second to put a specific amount of smoke on the Turkey so that its smoky, but not blackened with smoke.  This one turned out great, sort of a Mahogany color.  I used Pecan wood to smoke the Turkey this year...
Reddish Brown, and the skin was eatable, kinda chewy, and smoky.  The Pan Drippings got routed a different direction.  First transferred them to a fat separator.  This lets you separate the fat from the pan drippings.  The Fat goes into a skillet to make a Roux for the Gravy.  I think I had about six ounces of Turkey Fat, and as that was heating I whisked in seven tablespoons of Flour.  Keep whisking until you have a smooth paste, that doesn't look oily.  Then I added the Giblet Stock I made with the Neck, and Giblets.  Whisk that in good, then add the Pan Drippings.  Whisk that together well, then add some more Chicken Stock, while whisking, until the consistently is what you want.  Add some seasoning to your taste, then what ever flavorings you like, pepper, herbs, chiles, and Giblets...
Stuffing is really easy.  I sauteed some Mirepoix, plus Mushrooms in Butter, plus Sea Salt, and Pepper.  In the meanwhile I Diced up some Artisan Sourdough Bread, and a pan of Jalapeno Cornbread.  Maybe 6 cups of bread between the two which becomes the "Stuffing".  When the Vegetation is well sauteed dump the breads into the pan, and mix it with the Vegetation while stirring in some Chicken Stock.  Once it is mixed dump all of it into a baking pan, and put it in a 350F oven for around 30 minutes.  Well, that only took about 8 hours...  Easy weeknight dinner...

No comments:

Post a Comment