Sunday, August 2, 2020

August Barbeque

Wow, it's a nice day out there.  Really mild for August in Texas, low 90s.  It makes me want to play with Fire!  Apple Wood Smoke specifically.  I found some Pork Shoulder cuts at the grocery store today, and Apple Wood Smoke seems like the right way to cook them right now.
I am simplistic with the seasoning so that the smoke flavor can stand out.  All of this drives Harley krazy.  He's been waiting for the Barbeque for many hours, and getting restless about it.  I like a fairly light smoking of the Pork, and I'll keep it in the smoke for two or three hours.
Also I like to use cuts of the Pork Shoulder Roast, and not the whole Pork Shoulder, sometimes called a Boston Butt, or Pork Butt.  The reason I use cuts is to get more surface area to season, and smoke the Pork.  Better flavor penetration is the whole idea.  Then after smoking I put the Pork in the Crock Pot for several hours.
At this point the flavor is delivered, but now we need to use slow, and steady heat to breakdown the connective tissue in the pork.  This gives the correct texture to the meat, and when it is done it will be like Pulled Pork.  Finishing in the Crock Pot also produces Au Ju, the meat juices, which I will then add to the Beans I have prepared separately.  This is Sunday Nomnomz...
 Once all the cooking is done I package the Pork and Beans in 12 oz. containers, and label them with both the preparation date, and the expiration date.  This is a little side business that has earned a formidable reputation where I work.  I have people asking about when I am going to start cooking again.  Well, I guess now is the right answer...

No comments:

Post a Comment