Saturday, December 26, 2020

Guerilla Astrophotography 4

 I am trying a different eyepiece now.  This is 9mm Orion Sirius Plossi.  Greater magnification, and a smaller aperture make this much more difficult.  The telescope is 1200mm focal length, and now I am using a 9mm ocular lens, so the magnification is 133.33x.  Almost too much.  Then I have the 4x zoom with the Power Shot A560.  Potentially 533.33x magnification, but that is outside of the theoretical specification of the telescope, so not going there.  It's a nice shot though at 133x magnification...

Keep in mind that the aperture of the lens is limiting my field of view.  Also the periphery of the image is not the edge of the Moon, and you are seeing a small portion of the Moon.  It is not focused perfectly, but it is the best image I got with the 9mm Plossi.  This is considerably more challenging than using the 25mm Plossi.  I have a 30mm Plossi, with a 2 inch mount, which is an exceptionally beautiful lens, but my SteadyPix Pro camera mount doesn't fit on it.  The SteadyPix Pro adapts to a 1.25 inch mount.  I've done some handheld shots with my phone on the 30mm Plossi, but have a hardtime acquiring an image that way.  I would much rather use the SteadyPix Pro to hold the camera.  So, yeah, I think this is progressing positively.  I think I would have much more fun with a Canon EOS 5DS with a 40 megapixel sensor.  You know, it's only $1500 for just the camera body...

Just found out the new Canon EOS 5DS has a 50.6 megapixel sensor, and is more like $2000...  Well, OK, that'll do...

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/dslr/eos-5ds



No comments:

Post a Comment