Monday, November 14, 2011

Sausage, Biscuits, and Gravy

I can't deny my country boy roots.  Sausage, Biscuits, and Gravy is one of those things I just gotta have every once in a while.  On the weekends, I prep cook sausage for my breakfast burritos .  The pork fat that renders out of the sausage is perfect for the roux in the gravy.  I do this so often that I really don't need to measure things now.  I breakdown the sausage into small chunks in the pan while it is cooking.  When all the sausage is brown I remove the sausage from the pan using a slotted spoon, leaving the pork fat in the pan.  Then add enough flour to equal the pork fat, and whisk it together thoroughly.  When you know what a roux is supposed to be like then it is easy enough to add flour until the consistency is right.  If you accidentally add too much flour, you can always balance the roux by adding a little more pork fat.

The roux needs to cook for a while, over medium heat.  As it cooks the flour will become more brown, and we don't want it too brown for a country gravy.  So, cook the roux for about three to five minutes.  Then add the milk, a little at a time, whisk it in thoroughly, and allow it to come to a boil before adding more milk.  As the gravy comes to a boil it will thicken.  If it starts getting too think, add some more milk, and whisk it in thoroughly.  Add a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.  At the point where the gravy seems to be the perfect consistency, then reduce the heat to low, and let simmer a little while longer.  Let the gravy simmer for a final five minutes, while assembling the rest of the stuffz.  Right before serving, check the thickness of the gravy one more time, and add a little more milk if it seems too thick.

For this one I have split two biscuits in half.  You don't need to add butter to the biscuits because the country gravy is the substitute.  Then I'll add some of the sausage crumbles on top of the biscuits.  Spoon the gravy over the biscuits, and add some scrambled eggs in the middle there.  Add another grind of black pepper on top, and a little season salt, and there you go...

Breakfast fit for a King...

No comments:

Post a Comment