Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Astronomical Video Camera

My curiosity of the stars, aircraft and UFOs prompted me to build a tool to digitally record what was to be seen in the heavens above us.  The Astronomical Video Camera is a salvaged security camera that I pulled out of a dumpster.  I only had the camera, no interface, software, or even wires.  It took a while, but I managed to find the specifications to hook it up to the computer, power it, and use it to record what I see in the sky.  I also wrote some software to control it using LabView.

This is the platform, a skate board...
I use a rope and pulley system to pull it up to the roof crest...
Its a Pan, Tilt, 22X Zoom, 570 Line, security camera produced by American Dynamics.
The software I kludged has Pan, Tilt, Zoom, Focus, and Iris.
The camera is mounted upside down, so the images are also upside down.
Looking for a way to invert the image...
Here are some videos...

 Pleiades Zoom
Aldebaran Zoom


Full Moon 5



Jupiter and Moons



M42 Zoom

z.monkey@tx.rr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment